What is the Cool Savers Program?
Cool Savers is a new program available for PG&E residential customers with outdated heating and cooling systems. Cool Savers provides incentives to help you upgrade to new, energy-efficient technology designed to increase comfort and lower your monthly energy bills.
How does Cool Savers help me save money?
You’ll save three ways:
- Up to $1,800 in rebates for new AC units.
- Lower monthly energy bills and greater comfort.
- Up to $1,000 in bonuses if you’re a top energy saver after 12 months.
What do I get through Cool Savers?
You’ll receive a package of upgrades and smart-home technology—designed to work together to increase your home’s comfort and to lower your energy bills.
- AC or AC/furnace package: Up to $1,800 in incentives for selected manufacturer equipment.
- Smart thermostat: Replace your current thermostat with an eligible smart thermostat to receive maximum benefit from your HVAC system.
- Duct sealing: Leaky ducts can waste energy and lower your indoor air quality. Duct sealing is essential for a high-performance system.
- Energy performance monitoring: Your monthly energy data will be checked to ensure that your home is saving energy as expected, and that your system is operating efficiently.
- Monthly Cool Saver reports: Receive monthly reports on your home’s energy performance and whether you’re on pace for a Cool Rewards bonus.
- CO monitor and safety testing: Receive a free carbon monoxide monitor (if you don’t already have one); your contractor will also test your existing gas appliances to ensure they are operating safely.
How do I qualify for Cool Savers? Can anyone get this?
A Participating Contractor will determine if you qualify. To qualify, you must:
- Be a PG&E residential customer
- Work with a selected participating contractor
- Install a minimum package of three improvements: 1) qualifying AC or AC/furnace package 2) qualifying smart thermostat and 3) duct sealing
- Provide virtual access to your home’s energy data (your privacy will be protected)
- Reside in a single-family, detached home that is at least 15 years old, and does not have rooftop solar PV or electric vehicle charging
- Have not participated in PG&E’s Home Upgrade rebate program within the past five years; PG&E’s AC Quality Care Program within 14 months; or PG&E’s Mobile Homes program, Energy Fitness Program or Home Energy Analytics’ Home Intel Program within the past 12 months
Can I work with any contractor to get Cool Savers incentives?
No, you must go through a Participating Contractor to participate in the Cool Savers program. These contractors have received specific training in home performance and energy monitoring. In addition, the Cool Savers Program reviews and inspects the work of each contractor to ensure quality and performance. To find a contractor, visit CoolHomeSavers.com or call (844) 265-0801.
How much money will I save on my energy bills?
Savings can vary greatly depending on many different factors in your home and how you use energy day to day. Heating and cooling accounts for up to 48% of a home’s energy use, so upgrading to the most energy efficient system should have an impact. If you complete additional energy-efficiency upgrades like attic insulation or a new pool pump, expect greater savings.
What is the energy performance monitoring?
Once per month, your home’s energy data will be reviewed by our software to ensure that your system is operating efficiently. Each month, you’ll get a report that shows you how much energy you’re saving compared to the same month last year (before your upgrades), and you’ll see how your energy saving compares with other Cool Savers participants.
Access to your energy data is a required part of the program because it helps determine how well Cool Savers is helping PG&E customers. If your home is not saving energy as expected, your contractor and the Cool Savers program administrators can help you troubleshoot the reasons.
Setting up the virtual monitoring is easy and takes only a few minutes when you log into your account at PGE.com. Your contractor will show you how. Please know that your privacy and security will be ensured—your information will never be shared with any third party.
What is the Cool Rewards Bonus?
At the end of 12 months, participants who save the most energy will become eligible for a “Cool Rewards” bonus. If you’re one of the 100 top energy savers—among all the participants who enrolled in 2018-2019—you’ll be eligible to earn a bonus of $1,000, $500, or $250.
The first three months are your trial period. If you are consistently saving energy after three months, then you will become eligible to compete for a Cool Rewards Bonus.
Each month after that, you’ll receive an update on your current rank among all the energy savers, and what level of Cool Rewards Bonus you are on pace to receive. You’ll also get tips for easy actions to take to save more energy.
Participation in the Cool Rewards Bonus is completely voluntary. If you don’t wish to compete with other program participants, you don’t have to do anything.
Who administers the Cool Savers Program?/h3>
Cool Savers is administered by PG&E under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission.
Build It Green (BIG) delivers the program in partnership with the Electric and Gas Industries Association (EGIA).
BIG and participating HVAC contractors overseen by BIG are authorized to offer energy efficiency programs on behalf of PG&E.